Sunday, April 3, 2011

An attempt at baking in the degree-less oven...


A few weeks back I was invited to an afternoon of paintball with Henry and his co-workers. Honestly I wasn’t at all excited and entirely terrified because I didn’t imagine it was going to feel good getting hit by little balls of paint flying at me at high rates of speed. Though the first two games were slightly painful and stressful, I finally began to enjoy myself by the third game and absolutely loved it by the fifth one! Thanks to the three minute lesson my loving husband gave on army tactics - once I got over my fear we started to work as a great duo and helped our team win a game or two.(or three or four!) 
Thus I felt the need to thank the arch daily crowd for inviting me so I attempted to bake a batch or two of sugar cookies. Originally I wanted to make homemade chocolate chip cookies but I couldn't find brown sugar anywhere! So I settled on baking sugar cookies. Now, in our little cocina we are not only limited on space, but also on utensils and pans. So I tried to make do with what was available. I’ll let the photos help tell the remainder of the story…

A little too much heat...

Not quite enough... (also was not a fan of the shiny pan)


And finally! Just right!

Holy oven mitt! I lost a tray of cookies thanks to this stupid mitt. Pierre promptly ran to the pile of dropped cookies to see what he could salvage. I on the other hand, said a few inappropriate words and went for an ice cube.




All in all it was a great success.


























The archdaily crowd apparently loved them. Thankfully they appreciated my thanks. I must say though it wasn't the best sugar cookie recipe ever... They definitely needed sprinkles but of course the one grocery store I decided to go to for the ingredients didn't have any. Does anyone have a spectacular sugar cookie recipe you would recommend for round two?

2 comments:

  1. Cookies were like paint ball---you needed a few rounds to get going. Brown sugar is just sugar and molasses. If you can find molasses you can make your own. Or maybe you could do some no bake cookies? I love those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to see if I can find my good old fashioned recipe....however, I think you did great!! So glad you had a good time!!!!

    ReplyDelete